The last few months I have been spending a lot of time in 1 John and have found myself reflecting on what I’ve come to know about God and myself. Surprisingly, I realized that there is a lot I know and believe as I head into 2016. And yes, there will always be more to learn and know. I’m going to list a few of those things in today’s blog post.
- Each person is created and designed with a divine purpose in mind – first and foremost that is to be an image-bearer of God. Gen 1:27
- We are called God’s children, and that is what we are! 1 Jn 3:1
- There are so many things in this world that would like to hold our affections and draw us away from God – we must keep guard over our heart and keep away from anything that might take God’s place in it. 1 Jn 5:21
- Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil, and we’ve been given the Holy Spirit to empower and enable us to love and remain in fellowship with God and others, be taught the truth about God, and as proof that we live in God and he in us. 1 Jn 5:13; 3:8; 2:26-27; 4:13
- EVERY child of God is victorious over evil. How? Through our faith in Jesus as the Son of God, through the work of Christ in us (forgiveness of sins, etc.), and because God’s word lives in our hearts. 1 Jn 2: 12-14; 5:3-5
- Those who believe in the Son of God have eternal life. 1 Jn 5:13
- The choices we make demonstrate whether or not we are abiding in Christ. 1 Jn 3:24
- Love never fails! 1 Cor 13:8
And one of the big things that I know heading into 2016 is that God, because he knows me completely, knows the best possible path for my life and He WILL watch over me and advise me. 1 Cor 13:12; Ps 32:8.
I don’t know where you are at as you head into 2016. I don’t know if 2015 was a year where you found yourself less than victorious because of sin, wrong thinking, or because something other than Christ found its way onto the throne of your heart, or if 2015 was a year of closely abiding in Christ and seeing many victories, but this is also true: God longs to be in relationship with us, and he’s made a way for that to happen through his Son, Jesus Christ, and by giving us a helper, the Holy Spirit.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for the gift of life. Thank you that because of all you’ve done for us we may have friendship and relationship with a holy God, and be empowered to be participants in your continued work here on earth. May we live lives that honour you and bring glory to your name. Holy Spirit, help us to love our brothers and sisters in God-honouring ways, and remind us of the things we can and should know because of our faith in Jesus. Amen.
One of my favourite places to walk in the summer.
The Reverend Carmen Kampman is a woman on the road of leadership. Ordained with the PAOC, she is a steward of God’s call to women in ministry. She is the Founder of LEAD Women Ministries, host of the LEAD Women Podcast, an Associate Pastor at Westside Pentecostal, and holds an MA in Leadership & Management from Briercrest College & Seminary.